Welcome
Welcome to All Aircraft Are Not Involved.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, make your voice heard!

Baseball Player Arrested for Actions on the Field

may also include historical analysis and perspective

Baseball Player Arrested for Actions on the Field

Unread postby socrates » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:48 pm

Jose Offerman, the man signed by former Boston Red Sox General Manager, Dan Duquette, to replace Mo Vaughn's on base percentage, was arrested and charged for assault. He charged the mound and took two or three swings of the bat after being hit by a pitch.

Offerman is charged

Assault with a bat brings league ban
By Pat Eaton-Robb, Associated Press | August 16, 2007

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Jose Offerman was having a pretty good summer.

Then in a flash, things went flying out of control.

Looking for a last chance in the majors, the former two-time All-Star and Red Sox utilityman turned violent at a minor league game Tuesday night. Hit by a fastball, Offerman charged the mound with his bat and swung at least twice, striking the opposing pitcher and catcher.

Offerman, playing for the Long Island Ducks, was arrested on assault charges. The Atlantic League suspended him indefinitely yesterday and expected to make a final decision by the end of the week.

Bridgeport catcher John Nathans got a concussion that's likely to sideline him for the rest of the season. Pitcher Matt Beech wound up with a broken finger.

City police, providing security during the game, arrested Offerman. He was charged with two counts of second-degree assault. Offerman posted $10,000 bond and is due in Bridgeport Superior Court Aug. 23.

"It was one of those moments that you want to forget. I lost it for about 10 seconds," Offerman told the Connecticut Post. "That's what happened to me. I didn't have any intentions and I feel sorry for what happened and the way it happened."

Video and pictures of Offerman's attack drew much attention.

"Did you see that?" said Minnesota Twins star Torii Hunter, a friend of Offerman. "There's demons in everybody.

"Some people snap. You take a bat out there, you can get blackballed from baseball."

Offerman did not accompany the Ducks to last night's game. Joe Klein, the league's executive director and a former general manager in Texas, Cleveland, and Detroit, said he got a busy signal when calling Offerman's cellphone.

"I've never been so surprised in my life," Beech said, cradling a bandaged right hand. "As soon as he got hit in the calf, he raised the bat above his head and ran toward me to hit me with the bat."

At 38, Offerman was hoping a strong showing with the Ducks might boost his career. He was hitting .335 for the independent team, and sent the first pitch of Tuesday night's game sailing into the net beyond the left-field fence for a home run.

When he came up again the next inning, he got hit in the left leg by Beech's second pitch. That's when Offerman went wild.

"I knew it was intentional because the catcher, he said something to me, and when he hit me, I realized he did it on purpose," Offerman told the Post. "I overreacted. I ran to the mound with my bat in my hand."

Nathans was hit when he came running out to protect his pitcher. Beech got a broke middle finger on his glove hand.

"He swung the first time at my head and it was kind of like a helicopter follow-through, and I believe that is when John got hit in the back of the head," Beech said.

Offerman said he never meant to hit Nathans, and plans to apologize to everyone involved.

"If he got hit, it was because he tried to run behind me and take the bat and that was an accident," Offerman said. "I don't mean to hit him. I was facing the pitcher and I never went to hit the guy."
© Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.
socrates
gadfly

Unread postby Don Smith » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:53 am

Back in the day, if you hit a homer off a pitcher, everybody in the park knew the next pitch would be in your ear.
Don Smith

Unread postby socrates » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:08 pm

Don Smith wrote:Back in the day, if you hit a homer off a pitcher, everybody in the park knew the next pitch would be in your ear.

Yeah, that's what Jim Rice was saying on a Red Sox post game show, that "Awfulman" should have just let his pitcher take care of it. I'm just curious how hurt Offerman was. It reminds me of the brouhaha between the Red Sox and Yankees in 2003, when Pedro Martinez gave Don Zimmer the WWF face twist throwdown.

{AP Photo}

That brawl had started when Money Ramirez took exception to some high cheese that didn't even hit him! Not that we don't love Manny. A lot of folks know that Schilldog did an ad before the 2004 season saying he was going to Boston to help stop an 86 year curse. Well, Manny did an ad too, He was in a store buying some sneakers, and he was daydreaming that he was the world series mvp. Manny is a funny guy and a first ballot hall of famer. He also is much better in the outfield than given credit for.

But it also makes one wonder why this hasn't happened more often. 95 mph cheese thrown at a guy's noggin sounds like assault to me. But then again, it is tough to prove whether pitchers are throwing at someone on purpose, or if the baseball just slipped out of their hand.

I heard one funny comment on our sports radio. Someone said it was Offerman's first two hit game in a decade. Hope the two guys injured due to Offerman snapping recover.
socrates
gadfly

Red Sox Nation Take Over American Sports

Unread postby socrates » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:23 pm

The USA Today has a front page story on the Red Sox in their world-wide edition. Wow. Guess there isn't an illegal war to cover. But I do admit, I am a proud member of Red Sox Nation, whatever that means.

If anyone ever gets down, losing some hope, just remember what the Sox did in 2004 against the Yankees. Down 0-3. Never done before in baseball. No more Curse of the Bambino. Now we've got Kevin Garnett in hoops. The Patriots are the favourites for the Super Bowl. Don't hate us for being TitleTown!

Red Sox Nation new king of the road
By Paul White, USA TODAY

A Red Sox fan took in the Sox-Padres
game at San Diego's Petco Park in June

TAMPA — Terry Francona recalls walking into a hotel elevator in Baltimore this month, still smarting from a galling loss that night. The Boston Red Sox manager was joined by two Sox fans, also guests in the hotel where the team was staying.

"One of them told me I took (pitcher Daisuke) Matsuzaka out of the game too early," Francona says. In no mood to debate baseball strategy with strangers, he said nothing.

"Then the other guy said, 'So, what are you going to do tonight?' " Francona recalls. "I said, 'Get away from you as quick as I can.' "

These days, the Red Sox are learning that it's not always easy being the biggest attraction in baseball. For much of this decade, that honor — and all the hype and scrutiny it brings — has gone to their archrival, the New York Yankees. But in two of the three seasons since the Red Sox ended an 86-year drought and won the World Series in 2004, the fan base known as Red Sox Nation has grown into its name: No one, including the hallowed Yankees, plays to bigger crowds on the road.

The cheering, fawning and often angst-ridden Red Sox Nation is everywhere, some nights outnumbering the home team's fans at Red Sox road games. Some fans are newcomers, having latched on to the team of the moment. Others are die-hards who have found it easier to see their beloved Sox away from Boston because it's often difficult and expensive to get tickets to games in Boston's tiny Fenway Park....

And now a dating show too:

Reality TV Melds Baseball and That Other Pastime

Garrett Lucash and Hannah Grutchfield getting to know each other at Fenway Park on the New England Sports Network series “Sox Appeal.”

By KATHRYN SHATTUCK
New York Times
Published: July 31, 2007

The scene: a summer’s day in Fenway Park, where a sold-out crowd is watching the Boston Red Sox play the San Francisco Giants. But even the home run just hit by Barry Bonds can’t elicit the kind of reaction that comes next.

Garrett Lucash, a figure skater and die-hard Sox supporter who credits his 2005 national pairs championship to the mojo he summoned after the team’s 2004 World Series win, is conversing with Tabitha Jones, a flirty behavioral therapist, on a blind date on the right field roof. As a slew of spectators, and a television camera, train their attention on the couple, Mr. Lucash asks Ms. Jones whether she too is a baseball fan.

She is, she assures him — but for a different team.

And then she says the two words guaranteed to incite outrage and disbelief in those who so proudly wear the B: “The Yankees.”

Boos and jeers resound throughout the section. One man throws a peanut at her.

“It’s kind of like eating chicken, and you catch a piece of bone in the roof of your mouth and it gets stuck there,” Mr. Lucash said in a telephone interview as he recalled his pained expression on hearing the news. “It hurts.” ....
socrates
gadfly

Baseball

Unread postby Helix » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Go Bosox! Yeah, let's have a series with the Cubs. Fenway vs Wrigley. Would be the best! Helix. (oh yeah, go Cubs!)
Helix

Were The Chicago Cubs Cursed by a Billy Goat?

Unread postby socrates » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

I had to edit a post elsewhere where I wrote that the White Sox had been cursed by a billy goat. It was in fact the Cubs.

Are the Chicago Cubs and Boston Red Sox Cursed?

{The Red Sox won it all in 2004, so now we should all be rooting for the Cubs. This article, though, says the Red Sox were simply jinxed rather than cursed. The term "Curse of the Bambino" is known to have been coined by Boston Globe sports columnist Dan Shaughnessy.}

Newswise — Technically speaking, the Chicago Cubs are "cursed," and the Boston Red Sox are "jinxed," according to a renowned anthropologist at the University at Buffalo who studies the origins of cults, superstitions and cultural identities.

"Specifically, a 'curse' involves spoken or written words or an intentional act; and in this definition, according to the popular accounts, the Cubs really have one," explains Phillips Stevens, Jr., UB associate professor of anthropology.

"The Red Sox situation is better described as a 'jinx,'" Stevens adds. "A jinx might involve some accident of nature: The network of cosmic interconnections that people believe makes things happen in particular ways has gotten out of whack, out of alignment, out of balance."

In other words, the Cubs' misfortunes can be traced to an actual curse supposedly uttered by a Cubs fan upset that he and his goat were denied admittance to Game Four of 1945 World Series pitting the Cubs against the Detroit Tigers. The Cubs lost that series and haven't been back to the World Series since.

Whereas, Boston's trading away of Babe Ruth to the New York Yankees in 1920 was a blunder of such cosmic proportions that the gods of baseball -- and the breaks of the game -- have been against the Red Sox ever since. Which is why they haven't won a World Series since 1918…or, so some people want to believe.

"The notion of a curse or jinx is very big in sports, especially baseball," Stevens says. It's part of humankind's universal disposition toward "magical thinking" -- the belief that thoughts, words or actions will produce an outcome that defies normal laws of cause and effect, he explains.

"We like to think that logical thinking is the hallmark of our society, but in reality there's a universal desire to find a blame for something that is beyond reason," he says. "Actually, having a curse to blame for misfortune can be psychologically beneficial -- at least, temporarily -- as it relieves people of a sense of failure."

"Scapegoating is another way people find someone or something to blame for their misfortune," he adds.

Red Sox and Cubs fans are very familiar with scapegoating, as well, Stevens points out. Infamous scapegoats Grady Little and Steve Bartman spring to mind from the teams' heart-breaking playoff losses last season.

As for his team favorites, Stevens says he was raised in Massachusetts and his dad's enthusiasm for the Red Sox was contagious; but he spent some time in Chicago in graduate school, and there he developed an affection for the Cubs, too.

dacurse.com

This next one, all folks from Red Sox Nation should turn away or cover their eyes.

Photo Reveals Double Curse in '86
By Paul Lukas
ESPN
{excerpts}
If you want to imbue a discussion with an air of gravitas, you start by identifying the main character by his full name: George Herman Ruth. Dwight David Eisenhower. Homer Jay Simpson.

So consider the case of one William Joseph Buckner, who almost two decades ago (the precise anniversary is Wednesday, Oct. 25) bent over to field a grounder hit by Mookie Wilson. We all know what happened after that -- you've seen the video a few jillion times, you've read about the scapegoating, and the subsequent reaction to the scapegoating. After 20 years of scrutiny under the electron microscope of modern media, the Buckner play has been dissected so thoroughly that you pretty well know everything about it.

Well, almost everything.

It's not often that a new chapter can be added to a story that's been told so many times, especially two decades down the road. But that's what Uni Watch has for you today -- a bona fide addition to the historical record of the most infamous error in World Series history, courtesy of a sharp-eyed photo editor and a 12-year-old kid, both of whom spotted what a generation of baseball historians had missed. And this new find goes a long way toward explaining what happened on the field that night at Shea Stadium.

The tale begins with ESPN.com photo czar Sean Hintz, who was recently cropping and sizing a photo for an article about the Buckner play's 20th anniversary....

That's right: What Hintz spotted -- and what Uni Watch and countless other researchers had missed over the years -- was that Bill Buckner was wearing a Chicago Cubs batting glove under his first baseman's mitt. (And no, that's not a Photoshop job -- it's the real deal.)

Look how beat-up the glove looks, and then compare that to the World Series shot above. Looks like the same well-worn, loved-to-death gauntlet, no? Face it, you don't hold on to a glove like that over the course of two seasons unless it means something to you -- something special. Don't buy it? Then ask yourself this: Would Buckner really have gone out of his way to find more than one Cubs glove to wear while playing for the Sox?

The obvious conclusion: This was Bill Buckner's lucky glove. Not...

Yeah, we Bostonians gave Buckner a hard time. But if he hadn't been such an arse about it, if he had begged for our mercy and apologized, we would have let him off the hook. Real sports fans knew it was the manager's fault for not replacing him for defense as had been done all year for the late innings. Old school baseball was our curse. Racism was our curse. Lousy pitching was our curse. How'd we win it in 2004? We traded Nomar {pronounced Nomaah} Garciaparra at the trading deadline for defense. That is why the state motto is now In Theo We Trust for the gm Theo Epstein.
socrates
gadfly

Offerman Pleads Not Guilty

Unread postby socrates » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:44 pm

Offerman pleads not guilty to charges stemming from mound attack
Associated Press

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- Former major league All-Star Jose Offerman pleaded not guilty Monday to charges that he attacked a pitcher and catcher with his bat during a minor league game.

Offerman is scheduled back in Bridgeport Superior Court on Oct. 17. He declined comment after his appearance Monday.

Offerman, who is charged with two counts of second-degree assault, charged the mound after he was hit with a pitch while batting for the Long Island Ducks on Aug. 14. He was accused of hitting two Bridgeport Bluefish players and indefinitely suspended the next day.

During the ensuing melee, Bluefish catcher John Nathans sustained a concussion and pitcher Matt Beech broke a finger on his non-throwing hand.

Offerman's attorney Frank Riccio has said he does not believe his client struck the players with a bat......

AP Photo/Connecticut Post, Christian Abraham

Bridgeport Bluefish catcher John Nathans, right, tried to stop Jose Offerman
from hitting Bluefish pitcher Matt Beech with a bat. Beech broke a finger and
Nathans was hit in the head in the attack.

I think this one will never go to trial. My hunch is the lawyer is trying to barter for an upcoming plea bargain. I'll give Offerman one thing. He was good at making those over the back scoop catches in the shallow part of right field. I can respect that it's tough to hit a baseball, but Jose, try to wrap this thing up, get the anger management, and be good from now on.
socrates
gadfly

Re: Yikes, An Update

Unread postby socrates » Tue May 12, 2009 2:23 pm

{fair use excerpt}

A dizzying turn
Life has changed drastically for the catcher Offerman hit with his bat
In a physical therapy exercise, ex-ballplayer John Nathans tries to track and catch a
rubber ball thrown over his shoulder.
(Stan Grossfeld/Globe Staff)

By Stan Grossfeld
Globe Staff / May 12, 2009

PORTLAND, Maine - He used to catch 95-mile-per-hour fastballs fired by Pedro Martínez, Bret Saberhagen, and Jon Lester in spring training. Now former Red Sox prospect John Nathans catches a large red rubber ball lobbed underhand by a physical therapist . . . sometimes.

Other times it bounces off his face and he has to stop because he's dizzy or nauseated. Or worse, he has to go home, pull the covers over his head to shut out the world, and try again tomorrow. He can't tolerate much outside stimuli.

On Aug. 14, 2007, Nathans was struck in the head attempting to stop a bat-wielding Jose Offerman, the former Red Sox second baseman, who charged the mound after being hit by a pitch in a game between the Bridgeport Blues and the Long Island Ducks in the independent Atlantic League. Bridgeport pitcher John Beech suffered a broken middle finger on his non-pitching hand but was spared further injury thanks to Nathan's actions.

Offerman was arrested at the ballpark and charged with two counts of felony assault, which carried a maximum sentence of 10 years. But a Bridgeport Superior Court judge granted Offerman "accelerated rehabilitation" - two years probation - and ordered him to receive anger management treatment and pay for the medical expenses of Nathans and Beech. His record would then be expunged.

Major leaguers Tom Glavine and Torii Hunter wrote letters of support for Offerman. They said he is a good person, quiet.

"Everybody's a good person until they do something bad," says Nathans. "In this case, the judicial system did not hold him accountable for what he did. He assaulted two people with a bat, and if you did that on the street, you'd be in jail for a very long time."

Nathans, 29, filed a $4.8 million suit against Offerman and the Ducks in February in US District Court in Bridgeport, claiming he suffered permanent, career-ending injuries from a concussion, inner-ear problems, vomiting, headaches, vertigo, and post-concussion syndrome.

He says the lawsuit is not about money.

"This lawsuit is all about making someone accountable for their actions," says Nathans. "There was no resolution to this. He walked away and lived his life.

"He's still in the game, playing baseball. I have not been allowed to live my life the way it was intended. My life is changed forever."

Efforts to reach Offerman through family members were unsuccessful.....

Baseball players make a lot of money. While there's no guarantee than Nathans would have "earned" that much as a professional athlete, that seems to be a fair amount of cash to go for from the player Dan Duquette argued would replace Mo "HitDog" Vaughn's on base percentage.
Nobody - I mean nobody - pulls the wool over the eyes of a Gambini
socrates
gadfly

Return to Current Events