Welcome
Welcome to All Aircraft Are Not Involved.

Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, make your voice heard!

Video DJ Time

miscellaneous

tears from an old fart

Unread postby may41970 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:51 am

may41970

Unread postby socrates » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:11 pm

Life would stink without music. Even Confucious knew that.
socrates
gadfly

Lightning Hopkins

Unread postby socrates2 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm

may41970 wrote:and don, I'm finding myself admiring you more all the time. I just wish we could [find] something we could gab about. How about Lightning Hopkins? Not only does he refuse to follow the "set-in-stone" 8-bar rules, but I think he's got the most haunting sound I've ever heard. Plays the same licks over and over, but it always sounds good.

Baby please don't go

SHOTGUN BLUES

baby, scratch my back

Ok, a few of my own, sorry. 8)

Billie Holiday - Strange Fruit

The Blues Brothers - Aretha Franklin: "Think"
socrates2

Unread postby Don Smith » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:46 am

It's tough to find, look for Leadbelly singing his "Bourgeois Blues".
More social morality from the wretched of the earth.
Don Smith

Leadbelly, huh?

Unread postby may41970 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:13 am

I don't know anything about leadbellly, but you have my interest peaked. Can you recommend a good album to get me started?

Yeah, but lyrics do mean a lot - unfortunately they aren't lightning's strong point - although he had some old song called "cadillac blues" that was pretty fun. And it you ever heard his version of "Corrina, Corrina" - it's really great; only a slight second, imo, to Bob Dylan's emotional version on "Freewheeling."

Music is life. I know it sounds like a pepsi ad, but how bare this world would be without passionate music. Don't care if it's Albert Collins, Johnny Rotten, Nick Drake, Don Mclean, Mozart. **** the bible and gods and tv . Give me music, and I'm reminded that I'm alive and that human beings can be the most beautiful things in the universe sometimes.

And those links that you put up, soc - thanks a lot - but lightnin' has much better stuff. Maybe he got better as he got older (don't we all :) ) -- Wish I could remember the name of the album that turned me on to lignting. I know it was one of his last. But he's got some amazing accoutic tracks. Not complex, but just haunting. Don, if you can help me out to find them, it'll be much appreciated.

And of course, don't forget T-bone Walker. I had a live album of him playing in Europe, and I loaned it to musician I knew. Well, I said "loan." He must have heard "it's a present for you." What a friggin' mistake.

may
may41970

Unread postby Don Smith » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:02 am

There are over 200 listings for recordings of Lightnin' Hopkins' music, ranging from the crap that rock and roll producers conned him into making back to early works, which I have little reference material for, (a great part of my music is on tape, listing artist and title but little else).(Do you remember when Muddy Waters "went Electric"? Another con from the industrial pygmies of pop, I talked to him one night and he hated the damn thing.)
One collection I have comes from the Tradition label, called "The Best of the Blues Tradition"- Lightnin Hopkins, Country Blues. It is 1997 I found it in one of the mega disc shops, under the generic-"Blues".
This is my evening time just home from work, so I'll dig around a bit more, (though I tend to play, sing and listen as I unearth some long lost gem).
Huddy (rhymes with "Judy") Leadbetter had a few pieces that were popularized by the Weavers, (Good Night Irene), though Leadbelly never had so sacharine a sound. He was another tragic figure, spending time in Mississippi's dreaded Parchman Prison, (The Midnight Special is his), and making a fortune for others who used his songs.
See See Rider is a Ma Rainey tune, (didn't she write "Hound Dog", too?)
Mississipppi Fred McDowell, ("Steakbone Slide Guitar") wrote "Little School Girl" and also died broke.
So it goes...
I'm so far off track now I lost what my intent was, back to the music.
Don Smith

Unread postby socrates2 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:46 pm

It looks like you have to pay cash to get the good stuff. Youtube can be a struggle to find top quality. Thanks for telling me about this guy. That Billie Holiday song is sad. She was so beautiful. I threw on the Blues Brothers, just for some hope. There's always hope.
socrates2

Allman Brothers playing "Stormy Monday"

Unread postby may41970 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 am

I know that most country/blues folks love the Allman Bros - as for me I just like them, with the exception of their song "Stormy Monday," which is indescribably fantastic. I used to have one of their albums called "Live at the Filmore East," which I also stupidly gave away to the same guy as my Albert Collins "Showdown."

There's just something about "Stormy Monday." It's the only blues song I know that can totally confuse amateur blues musicians. I once watched a good guitar player walk off stage cause he couldn't figure it out.

I was gonna post a link to the Allman bros. singing "Stormy Monday" - but I can't seem to find one at youtube. But ff anyone else can find a good version of this tune, regardless of who it's sung by, please post it.

And "DHS Don," you might wanna check out Stormy Monday too. Blues aren't so bad. But they require soul. I think you might discover that you'll like blues if you give them a serious listen. You might even discover some soul in that dark heart of yours. Our door is open over here if you ever decide you'd like to step back into the sunlight.

I just can't get myself to feel mad at you.
may41970

Unread postby socrates » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:51 am

My Irish friends loved the Allman Brothers and the Greatful Dead- two groups they'd never heard of.

The DHS angle makes the most sense to me.

Maybe I should reopen Don's account, and he can come back any time he wants. If he is DHS, I have no problems with him. He was just doing his job to make sure we aren't violent. That's different than Jay Reynolds and Lou Aubuchont spreading that fake script with their lies. That's different than Lou as AnnAngryBitch fostering hatred and homophobia. That's different than the spewage that the paid fakes come up with at the "unofficial" forum and other places.

A few years ago at huffington, a few of us had a field day dissecting the fakes. They are not all the same. Some are trying to divide and conquer. Others, like Don if he is from the homeland security, maybe he was just doing his job. If so, I am grateful to him for putting up good links and posts.

Personally, though, i think using the word comrade was a bit over the top.
socrates
gadfly

Got A Tune Stuck In My Head

Unread postby socrates » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:20 pm

I no longer am going with the Don Smith as DHS angle.
But that is being covered in the astroturfing section.

George Harrison used to say in Yellow Submarine that it's all the head.
While the world can get me down sometimes, I always seem to bounce back.
Even Confucious knew all those years ago that music was the gift from the cosmos to soothe our souls.

All Those Years Ago
socrates
gadfly

PreviousNext

Return to Everything Else